Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Is Twitter really the way to God?

Twitter, the popular social media network for micro-blogging was recently dubbed the most popular word of 2009. The Global Language Monitor declared “Twitter” as the top English word of the year. In a Time.com article, technology writer Clive Thompson says that by following these quick, abbreviated status reports from members of your extended social network, you get a strangely satisfying glimpse of their daily routines. We don't think it at all moronic to start a phone call with a friend by asking how her day is going. Twitter gives you the same information without your even having to ask.

Twitter is gaining popularity at lightning speed. It had a huge effect on Black Friday sales, with retailers “tweeting” deal, hoping to catch the attention of their followers. James Fielding, President of Disney Stores Worldwide is quoted as saying, “I think in this economy you need to leverage every asset that you have.” This past Friday, Fielding tweeted, “We have amazing ONE DAY ONLY deals previewing on our Facebook page — become a fan today and find out more!”

While I think taking advantage of Twitter, Facebook and other new forms of social media, how much is too much? This question came to mind when I came across a Time.com article entitled, “Twitter in Church, with the Pastor’s O.K.” The article profiles John Voelz, a pastor at Westwinds Community Church in Jackson, Michigan who has embraced Twitter and taught his congregation how to use it. Voelz spent two weeks teaching his parishioners about the site and how to use it. After no time, tweets were appearing on screen in the training session with things like, “I have a hard time recognizing God in the middle of everything" and "The more I press in to Him, the more He presses me out to be useful.”

Is this really appropriate? Voelz seems to think so. Instead of reminding worshippers to silence their cell phones, he is encouraging them to integrate text messaging into their relationship with God. Some believe that it is the Church’s responsibility to leverage current culture to their advantage, in order to draw young people in. Actually, Bible verses can frequently be found in pop culture. Here are two unexpected examples:

3198384294_7cef19506d.jpg

holy_soda.jpg

On the other hand, many believe that there is a time a place for technology, and Sunday morning Mass isn’t is.

I personally do not believe that Church is the time/place for social media sites. I know if there was a screen in the front of my Church displaying Twitter, I would watch that the whole time rather than pay attention to the Mass. And if, for some reason, I wasn’t paying attention to what’s going on up on the altar, shouldn’t I be reflecting on my life throughout the past week?

7 comments:

  1. I find that Twitter somehow seems to attract this sort of person who loves telling others about his/her life nonstop. I don't think that every move a person makes should be publicized to the whole world, yet some people do. Twitter has given people an interest medium to see into another person's life. Also, I agree with you in that I don't think church is quite the place for tweets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that during mass is not the place for tweets, but I don't see anything wrong with tweeting about God. It may seem kind of ridiculous, but who says that a medium like twitter can't bring people together spiritually. If we look at it from an opposing view, would we have a problem with a twitter user tweeting about atheism. Some might, but I think that sharing perspectives is what the internet is all about. We should remind ourselves that Twitter is still quite new and is growing at an alarming pace. Most people go through a phase in life where they question God, his existence, or just to ask the question "Why?". The internet is the future and although the Catholic church is known to be extremely slow at accepting new ideas. For example, Galileo's theory of heliocentrism was not accepted by the church for over a hundred thirty years. I do believe that there is something to keeping church a tradition, but other people's opinions via twitter may help someone who is questioning religion or a higher power. Other Christian faiths might adapt to this medium more quickly. Ultimately, I think one of the most important things about the internet and the future of twitter is to share ideas, not just what we are up to all the time. Twitter has a lot more potential than that. Why should spirituality be exempt?

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me this seems a bit extreme. I understand how technology is currently a large driver in our electronic culture, but to me, religion and spiritual should remain a personal and physical thing, rather than an electronic or technological thing. Though it does allow us to better relate to people and their religion views, feelings, or standings, I think that incorporating it into a sermon or church service may be going too far. Of course, I completely understand the point made by saying that people like to text and will do it during church anyways, so this way it is more public!
    I agree with Devon, it would create a distraction for myself if I was attending a Mass where Twitter was displayed. To each his own, of course, but unfortunately not my cup of tea. Though we do read the bible as a written thing, Religion tends to remain about the spoken word, and by tweeting during Mass, we might as well just keep our fingers on the keyboard and not open our mouths.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm tweeting about God? I don't necessarily see a problem with that. Tweeting in mass? Now I'd say that's a bit too much. The whole idea of drawing younger people in by being "hip" is pretty stupid if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that it is hard to believe that social media can help you find what ever god you believe in or want to believe in. It's nothing more than the Churches attempting to find a connection with the youth who are starting to pull away from established religion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Luke, everything in moderation; however Twitter increasingly does not seem to abide by this rule, to negative effect, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's a problem with your images.

    There's nothing new about organized religions trying to use new communication technologies to their benefit, although the question raised by Neil Postman in Amusing Ourselves to Death in regard to the televising of religion seems appropriate enough--does Twitter trivialize religion, and turn it into a form of entertainment?

    ReplyDelete