Wednesday, December 9, 2009

another backstreet boy fad?

For my final post I would like to take a look into the future and discuss how social networking websites may affect us. Since the introduction of myspace there have been a large number of social sites created which mimic or incorporate the same principles. The main purpose seems to be to connect with friends and show off cool pictures. However, we seem to be creating a culture where we talk about what goes on the social websites in real life rather than the vica-versa. Being someone who doesn't take too much pride in posting pictures and what not on the Internet, these websites have very little allure for me. I wonder if they are a fad that will die out like the backstreet boys? or have they became an integral part of our socialization and culture?

3 comments:

  1. I feel much the same way, particularly about twitter. I am curious to know when it became necessary to get nearly constant updates on the goings on in people's lives, often complete and total strangers. I, for one, hope that this craze dies out quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find myself getting frustrated sometimes when I go out by people who seem to be taking pictures solely to add to the number of pictures they have tagged of them on facebook. While I definitely agree that taking pictures is a great way to remember one’s night for years to come, I don’t think an abundance of bathroom mirror pictures are ever necessary. That being said, I do think that the upsides of these social media are much greater than these odd downsides.

    ReplyDelete
  3. does it have to be either/or, or can it be both/and?

    ReplyDelete