Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Is Twitter making us more selfish?

John Dvorak, a write for MarketWatch.com has some issues with Twitter, especially as a news source. First he says that bloggers tend to make generalizations since they have no idea how to pursue a story and get the facts. Second, he says that the Internet is full of hoaxes and goofballs, making blogs unreliable and non-credible sources. Next, 140 characters does not allow for analysis, just a mere "headline". Finally, bloggers may have skewed priorities.  

His last objection is the one I find most interesting. He references David Callaway, another MarketWatch writer saying, "He accurately points out that Twitter is mostly about the user himself or herself. "Can anyone find me a good restaurant?" ... " I'm cold." ... " I just ate a cheese sandwich." ... " I almost got killed in Tehran." And while the last example is a kind of reporting, these idiots with their cell-phone cameras should probably get out of harm's way."  

Now that I think about it, its true that the point of Twitter is to tell your "followers" the who, what, when, where, why, how of every minute of your day. But who cares? Who cares that you just ate a delicious cheese sandwich, or that you're cold. On the one hand I think Callaway has a point, it is self centered to think everyone cares about everything you do but on the other hand, Twitter can be used to offer advice and experiences.  

I still haven't joined Twitter because I'm torn over the way I feel about it.

3 comments:

  1. Devon- I feel the same way about Twitter- torn.
    Does everyone have to know what's going on in our lives? It does seem invasive, but I guess there are those who really enjoy expressing themselves in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I for one am not a twitter user. I still have not gotten what all the craze is about. A lot of my close friends swear by twitter, but i still have no real desire to join. I do however understand one draw to twitter, that being the simplistic aspect it has. I do agree that most people on the internet really don't have anything important to say. Why should they be give the spotlight? but then again why shouldn't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. people do tend to love it or hate it, but they also use it in different ways

    ReplyDelete