Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Can't Get No Satisfaction

For my last post, I’d like to reflect on an overall view of new media and technologies. We live in a world surrounded by the digital era; everything from our Blackberries to our state of the art computers to high definition televisions. However, I was recently asked in a class to name one form of technology that I was truly satisfied with. And to almost my disgust, I couldn’t name one thing.

In this class, we’ve talked about the constant changing of new technologies. As I reflected upon what technology I am truly satisfied with, I kept naming things in my head, and then realizing that they could be better. First, I thought of my computer. I completely depend on my computer for just about all of my classes. I type up all my notes, have essays and word documents, excel spreadsheets, powerpoint presentations, emails; everything I need to continue being a successful student. However, there are always ways that these applications can be improved. How? Not exactly sure. But I know that Microsoft Office continues to be re-developed, so therefore something can be changed to make it better for me.

I then thought to the Internet. Yes, I am satisfied with the internet. Oh no, wait. It can always be faster. There can always be more information. There can always be a way that it’s accessed easier and faster. And the same goes for my cell phone. I have the internet at my fingertips, all my important contacts with the click of a button, texts, calls, and BBMs, as well as a world of applications. What more could I want? The answer is more. There are always ways that it can be faster, that it can be better.

And I know that I’m not the only one to feel this way. I’ve read posts on this blog about how our generation becomes impatient if a website doesn’t load in under 3 seconds. But have we just become spoiled and lazy as our impatience grows with faster technology? Does that even make any sense, that as technology becomes more readily available to us, we become even more skeptical of how great it is and our impatience grows? Is this how we’re going to define our culture, in terms of how we view our cyber culture?

7 comments:

  1. If anything it can be compared to the computer you use at home, not even the internet connection, but just the everyday use of a computer. When you first get one, it's downright the fastest thing you've ever seen in your life. A few years, later you're cursing at it to even open a webpage. To some extent it's degraded due to fragmentation or other disk errors, but something is different to you. So you buy a new computer and the same cycle occurs. The odd thing with technology in general is exactly what you said: nothing is ever "too fast". Too expensive to reach at a certain point? Sure. But with this focus on speed, multi-tasking, etc, what does that do to your ability to communicate? Does it make it easier and clearer? Or does being able to do one billion things at once make the quality of communication less? It's something that should be considered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post. I don't think we'll ever be "satisfied" though. If we were, we would stop inventing new technologies. If we were satisfied with the typewriter we might never have gotten the computer, if we were satisfied with dial-up Internet we might never have developed DSL. I think it would be nice to not be so impatient with our technology but I also think its pretty much inevitable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to believe we are becoming more and more disconnected too because of our technology uses. While we are connected via technology and have "friends" online, we are still disconnected from the real interactions of face to face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My thoughts exactly Lauren- I always think about ways to improve our current technology. Even when I look at myFordham.edu, I want it to be easier to navigate and take in. Although I'm not exactly sure what improvements I'd make- I know I like to see some. Like they say- Necessity is the mother of invention and I guess I'd add that our generation improves things on the things they aren't easy or fast enough. We are a generation that doesn't settle-we improve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Satisfaction truly is the death of improvement. I agree with Devon, complacency will get us nowhere, especially with technology. It will always be a race to keep up, and eventually get ahead. Or, at least, it will be for the foreseeable future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have now become more accustomed to an ever-changing technological environment and consequently live with the notion that from the second you buy a computer, it becomes outdated. There is always a faster processor being developed, a more efficient LED screen, a multi-touch trackpad or even a touchscreen tablet with no hard drive (Google Chrome OS). Whatever the case, I am excited to see what 2010 brings us with regards to technological advancements and eager to experience them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so maybe we should quit while we're ahead?

    ReplyDelete