Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Computers (personal and mainframe)

My comprehension of how a computer is defined is as follows: A "personal" computer is a machine used for a variety of tasks, from simple calculations, to complicated graphics designing and film editing. For me personally, a computer is firstly a word processor and secondly a media center. That is to say, I use my computer for music, movies, pictures and TV. Also a computer is an easy access point for the internet, where the possibilities for media and information intake is limitless. Beyond all this, a computer allows for connectivity among peers. This blog for instance would not even exist without computers. Computers connect us to each other and the rest of the world.

Different from our personal computers a Main Frame computers are traditionally used by large organizations to complete bulk data processing. For instance tasks like census and financial transaction processing require a computer that can make an insane amount of calculations in a short amount of time.

3 comments:

  1. I use my computer in typically the same way that Robby has described above. I always wonder what it would be like to not be able to work on my personal computer. I know that it is possible (seeing how generations before us have been able to get through life without them), however, mine truly is my "media center" as well. I think a personal computer can tell you a lot about a person, it's almost like a way to look at their identity. You can tell a lot about a person by the type of music they listen to, what DVDs or CDs they use for their computer, what type of hardware is on their personal machine, ect. I know the old phrase of "you can't judge a book by it's cover", I wonder if that will change to something having to do with identity in regards to a personal computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think personal computers have evolved tremendously to the point that you can use them anywhere you go, like a small PC or an iPhone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're going to discuss mainframe computers, I think much more could be said on the topic.

    ReplyDelete