Tuesday, September 29, 2009

computers computing

The basic way for me to define my computer is my life. I honestly would not be able to function without my computer. I use my computer in just about all aspects of my life; whether it’s to check my email, type up class notes, or connecting with friends. That being said, I think that a major part of the definition of computers are the internet. Although I could still use my computer for word processing, without the internet, it would practically be useless for me.

Computing is, put quite simply, the process of using a computer to process data or perform calculators. However, when you think about it, the idea of “computing” can be viewed in many ways. Would you think that just simply using a computer would be computing? Or would it only apply to numerical computations? Would the idea of processing data be limited to simply calculations? I, myself view computing as the ways in which we use computers to our technological advantages. For example, let’s say you had to do a simple addition problem, however, it required the addition of many numbers. Instead of plugging all those numbers into a hand held calculator, you could either electronically plug them into a calculator on your computer, or even use Google.com. If you type in your mathematical equation, Google.com will compute it for you! Our computers are always processing the data that we put into it; they are constantly computing new information, hardware, and data.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting thoughts, but I'm not sure of what your conclusion is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the essence of what I originally posted. As technology continually changes, our definition of computing also changes.

    ReplyDelete