Monday, November 9, 2009

Hypertext Hierarchies?

After reading "Pedagogy and Hypertext", I realized why it is that I am able to understand internet content much easier than printed, written content.
The internet, according to Gibson, has "no hierarchy of ideas as is evidenced in a table of contents or outline" (284). By giving the reader to choose the direction that he wishes to continue in, the reader is able to learn in the manner that best suits him. I find myself having a tough time with a solid, rigid structure so the internet's ability to help the reader maneuver through the material relevant to him is great. There is no overarching structure to the internet; it is strictly organized "not in order of importance, calling into question not only hierarchies of ideas, but the notion of prerequisites" (284). It is this "choose your ending" style that gives the internet the power it has to convey information to a reader.

6 comments:

  1. I find this very interesting! I've noticed this as well-- I like creating my own way of "navigating" the internet. For example, I have numerous tabs open, such that I never become bored with one site. I can navigate from site to site, and back again. I like creating my own layouts of where I am going to next-- it never gets dull and boring when I'm the one creating it (and if it does, CLICK! browser closed).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good point Will. The option and ability for us to make our own choices in direction of the internet does allow us to better understand material. We can make our own connections to things instead of having a textbook make the connections for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's great about this type of Learning is it gives one an opportunity to learn to make their own connections. On the otherhand, it is possible to be overwhelmed with information that we loose focus on certain connections or overlook important points.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's what we gain, but what do we lose in the bargain? Is there something of value in the hierarchical organization of knowledge?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read somewhere i our textbook that internet writers will often break up lines of text with white space to give reader's eyes a break. I too comprehend more from online text then other media.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tips and tricks we have come to use in our navigating the internet, or reading a text physically or electronically, is actually astounding and I have started to recognize the way I navigate with tabs and windows as different than others. It also attests to our organizational skills too and the way that we can keep ourselves structured to get the information we need.

    ReplyDelete