Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Computers, Watches, and Cell Phones: OH MY!

In reading the beginning of Professor Strate's chapter on Cybertime not only made me realize how considerably unique and different, yet similar clocks and computers are, but it made me realize more about technological changes. Even in the past few years we have turned to cell phones, as possibly another form of technology to be considered in this grouping. Not in so much as Professor Strate speaks of the internal of the computer working in computer time and time pieces working as passes of our time, but cell phones in some ways determine our time.
Think about everything you use your cell phone for... not only calling or texting, but in most cases is your main way of having a grasp of time. How many people still wear watches... well, how many "young" people still wear watches?
Just tonight at a rehearsal, someone asked, "What is the time?" While everyone fumbled through their pockets and ran to their bags, my director simply lifted her wrist and said, "10:22pm". Surprised, everyone looked up and someone said, "Now who still wears one of those...?"
Though we are a technologically driven generation, we run on the world's time and are constantly going. Maybe computer have it easier. They are on their own time, on the cyber time explained in this chapter. And all though this does not correlate exactly to the idea of cyber/computer time, I think it gives us an idea of the ability for technology to work on its own time, and the mechanisms of a clock to be able to give us real world time.

4 comments:

  1. An excellent point. In fact, the sales of wristwatches have dropped dramatically due to the cell phone. And it's not just that it functions as a watch, but also as a means to control and coordinate our activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oddly enough i still wear a watch out of habit, but when it comes to actually checking the time i always grab my phone out of some odd impulse...well not exactly that odd since i'm probably doing a billion things already on my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luke, I'm the same way. I still wear my watch almost everyday, but because I'm so caught up in doing everything there is to do on my cell phone that I'm more likely to go directly to my cell phone to check the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've worn the same watch for the past 5 or so years. The battery died at some point...I never really noticed. I still have it on though.

    ReplyDelete