Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Clocks and Computers

In Cybertime, the analogy between the clock and the computer is very fascinating to see. Once the clock became common, people relied on it for the information it conveyed. Time became an important aspect of the day to day lifestyle when clocks became standard. Days were ruled by the time and people obeyed the information it conveyed.

The computer has had the exact same effect. Every business, college, student, etc. is completely reliant upon the power within computing. The computer runs finances, businesses, classes, and most other things. If there was ever an issue with computers, the world would be a much different place. We are reliant upon this new technology like people became reliant upon the invention of clocks.

With this new technology and our utter dependence on it, are we more susceptible to bigger issues? If we can no longer have modern society without the internet, computers, and cybertime, what are we supposed to do if they all fail?

4 comments:

  1. This is okay, but if seems incomplete, like you're just getting started on saying something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. If there were any kind of mass computer issue, our world would be in an incredible bind. Communication we once again only become local or even immediate between people co-present with you, and our daily lives would be a lot more difficult. Computers are everywhere now; they are in cars, cellphones, even things as simple as cash registers are computers. We have become so relient on these devices, much like we rely on the clock to guide our day, if anything went wrong, we'd be in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say i can agree with this post on a personal level. I know that without a computer i am lost. There was one point during my sophomore year when i was without a computer for a couple weeks, and it was very difficult for me to get by. i rely on my computer more than any other electronic device in my life including my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The same thing happened to me this year, my computer crashed and took nearly three weeks to be repaired. I, like most other people, use a computer almost constantly throughout the day, whether its to do homework, research something, or check email. Not having my computer was not only a huge inconvenience for me but I had to borrow my roommates computer frequently which caused an inconvenience for her.

    ReplyDelete